Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Ong Xuyen

I already knew his time was almost up when I called my mom earlier today. She said he was no longer responsive. I was restless all day as I tried to get some of my thesis work done. Wanting to get out of the house, I asked Nelson if he wanted to go to Black Bear Diner.

Sitting down a flood of memories hit me, and I realized I had already shared my last meal with Ong Xuyen before I left for the beginning of the Winter quarter. Ong Xuyen loved to eat out, especially at diner-type restaurants. When I was first able to drive I remember taking him to IHOP all the time. As I grew older I discovered different places to take him--from Harry's Cafe, to Doug's Mainstreet Grill, and more recently Spires. Nothing fancy, really, he just loved to go out and eat with us.

0 comments: